Hey Monster Squad! It’s been way too long since I last sent an update out which is disappointing as so much has happened since the last post. As with all Gila monster breeding seasons, this one was full of surprises and a lot of lessons to be learned.
First, during pairing and copulating we attempted a 1.1 ratio for breeding pairs which we hoped would increase success. Two of our previously bred females were seen copulating at least five times, but the new girl we got last year was only seen once. Eggs seem to be maturing well as monitored on ultrasound, except for the new female which only had two eggs (the other two females had greater than five eggs from what we could see). By the time egg laying came about in June this is where things change and deficiencies in our program were found. our two long-term females produce 13 eggs between the two of them, and the new girl produced two.
Unfortunately only four of the 15 eggs survived of the whole group to date. One was actually eaten by it mother! This was a severe disappointment but valuable lessons were learned. First, the new female was under condition and not ready to be bred but she had enough weight and we thought she would be ready, she was not. Second our egg-laying protocol needs to be revised as it appears our girls are not comfortable laying eggs in their current egg boxes, which at this time are the entire cage turned into an egg laying nest with dark tint over the glass to provide privacy. Unfortunately this is not enough and we are going to try something entirely new next year fingers crossed!
As we approach the end of October we have four eggs still in the running. Four out of 15 is not a good ratio but some success is certainly better than none at all! It’s interesting that most eggs go bad within the first 30 days of laying, which says to me that our incubation protocol technique is working. Of course mid and late term and losses have happened but generally most eggs even fertile they are doomed will go bad within the first 30 days. These days I’m checking the incubator daily opening to egg boxes for fresh air as the humidity and temperature continue to remain stable throughout the week incubation period. We are super excited for the birth of our baby Gila monsters – each time I truly feel like a kid during Christmas opening the big gift center left under the tree! As soon as the babies are out we will post pictures and contact those on the waitlist in the order that they joined (Allen you’re up first!).
So as we wrap up our 2022 Gila monster breeding season and get our monsters ready for the Big Chill (hibernation, not the movie), we look forward to an amazing 2023 breeding season. One of our 2019 females produced here is growing follicles as shown by ultrasound and will be attempted to be bred next year. We are also very excited to have our axanthic Gila monster Winnie up to condition and ready to breed next year. This is a very, very exciting project for us as few of these morph are being bred throughout the world. We are also excited to put into motion the lessons we learned in this and past seasons to improve our success and to see more amazing baby Gila monsters born into this world, because what world isn’t better with more Gila monsters in it?
2 thoughts on “2022 Gila monster breeding season update”
I am wondering if you have drilled a tiny hole in those egg incubation boxes you use? I ask as I have seen mentioned several times that without it some monitor and tortoise breeders have had eggs “explode” or otherwise go bad even though they had appeared viable at the beginning of incubation. They believe that the pressure changes as the water evaporates and pressure changes that it can affect the embryos. They state that a tiny air hole drilled into the top of 1 sidewall eliminates this problem. Jeff Lemm mentions it in a Dave Kaufman video talking about breeding monitors.
Best of luck to you in all your breeding projects!
Great question! I did and do have holes in the tops of some of my SIM boxes, but because I had an issue with phorid flies I have since used the sealed lids. The compromise is the tops are not on tight and I open the box, not moving, adjusting or messing with the eggs, to allow fresh air in at least once a week and now daily as the end of incubation period comes and the eggs require greater oxygen. I haven’t had any failures to my knowledge from not having holes in the boxes, but I do feel the flies can attack eggs that are on the border and turn them bad by attacking weak spots in the egg.